Wednesday 23 February 2022

Nuenen House #3 Finished?

I thought that I had finished this first house in my Band of Brothers project, but after looking at it on my painting table for the last few days, I'm not sure it is finished. I think that I have put my finger on the source of the problem: the roof tiles are too clean and don't match the rest of the building, so probably need a bit of weathering to blend them in. I might also paint a few more of the individual bricks too; the two ends of the house are a bit plain whereas I think the two long sides look better with a higher proportion of darker bricks.





Rather than just taking photos of the buildings, I thought that having some figures next to them, to indicate the size and scale, would help set them off.  So, I've bought a platoon's worth of the 82nd Airborne.

These are the first American Airborne that I have painted, so I painted up the two Pathfinder figures first and tried out some colour schemes on them to work out how I would paint the rest. If they didn't work out, then I probably wouldn't use them in a game anyway. My issue with the Pathfinder figures is that they all have mohawks! Is this just a WWII myth? Was there a photo of just a couple of guys from the Pathfinders with crazy haircuts, which has influenced everyone's perception of them ever since, or was this actually really common?


I've also been trying out a new painting technique, which I think looks OK so far. It doesn't involve slapping loads of Agrax Earthshade over the whole model!

I plan to paint up 16 figures and then get back onto designing, architecting, cutting and building the next building in Nuenen.

2 comments:

  1. The bricks and concrete look perfect. You are probably right about the roof, although you could argue it has just been replaced and hasn't been around long enough to get weathered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers. I could leave it as it is, but it will bug me until I fix it, so I'll get onto weathering the roof as soon as I have finished painting the first 16 US paratroopers. I need to affix the drainpipes anyway, so I'll go back to it at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Nuenen House #3 Finished?

I thought that I had finished this first house in my Band of Brothers project, but after looking at it on my painting table for the last few...