Wednesday 16 December 2020

Painted Bulgarian Riflemen

Following on from my post yesterday, I have painted two pre-production samples of Great Escape Games' forthcoming range of 28mm WWII Bulgarians. I am sure that a pro painter will have made a better job than me, but it is far easier to get a sense of what a miniature figure is like once it has been painted.  

I have to say that these were really nice to paint (and quick), not for lack of detail, but the paucity of equipment that the Bulgarian soldiers carried around and the simplicity of their uniforms. Normally, I paint WWII Germans, which tend to have more detail on their uniforms and also lots more equipment, all of which requires a different colour. These guys have a single colour uniform, some ammo pouches and a bag. ;-)


I spent a bit of time yesterday scouring the Internet for colour photos of Bulgarian uniforms, of which there are very little. I settled on using photos of a bunch of re-enactors; here is a link to one of the sites I used for reference. The colours I used (all Vallejo Model Color) were:

  • Uniform - 70921 English Uniform
  • Helmet - 70890 Reflective Green
  • Boots - 70950 Black
  • Rifle - 70871 Leather Brown / 70995 German Grey / Boltgun Metal from Games Workshop
  • Rifle sling - 70886 Green Grey
  • Ammo pouches - 70940 Saddle Brown
  • Epaulettes - 70946 Dark Red
  • Flesh - 70860 Medium Fleshtone
I washed the models with Citadel Agrax Earthshade and then highlighted using the same base colour mixed with a bit of 70919 Foundation White.

I know that they are not going to win me a Golden Demon, but I think they're good enough for gaming. Just need to wait for the range to go into production now. ;-)


5 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Good job.

    Thank you for the colours. I have pre commanded some minis myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Worrywort. Shouldn't be too much longer to wait until this range is in production. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yes I hope.

    It will be a surprise for my foes in games!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers for the great review of my sculpts. Always good to see them being painted.

    ReplyDelete

Nuenen House #3 Finished?

I thought that I had finished this first house in my Band of Brothers project, but after looking at it on my painting table for the last few...