Sunday 29 November 2020

Greek/Cretan Rural Church - work-in-progress

As another Sunday afternoon project, I have started making a small rural church suitable for Greek/Crete scenarios. Because the weather was so nice today, I spent most of the day putting all the Xmas decorations and lights on the outside of the house, so only started this terrain piece late this afternoon!

I'm waiting for the filler on the roof to dry, so I thought I would post up a few work-in-progress images. I have described the technique and materials that I use in a previous post. This particular building was based on a fantastic set of photos that I found on stock photo site, Alamy, who charge for their images, so I can only link to them from here, but they are worth having a look at.

Front of the church

Side and rear

Bell tower

Here is what my church looks like part completed...it's not identical, but close enough in proportions and features to be identifiable as Greek-ish. It is mostly made of cork tiles, with some cardboard cereal packet, some textured wallpaper and surface/wall filler. This is probably about 90 minutes' work so far; once the roof has dried, the remainder of the texturing will be pretty quick to complete, as will the painting.




I intend to paint this building to be more like the church in the photos from the Alamy site i.e. a lot more staining on the render than I have added to the two previous cottages that I made on the last couple of Sunday afternoons.

Another feature that I intend to add to this church is to find a bell from somewhere. I'm sure that there is a chocolate bunny (Lindt or Kinder, perhaps?) that has a ribbon around its neck with a small bell attached. Following a quick Google search, I have just located a chocolate reindeer with a bell! Hopefully, that will be the right size.

I have also been painting a German army for an early war/invasion of Greece scenario to go with the early war German armour that I painted a few weeks ago. Here are a couple of photos of a handful of the infantry. I think these models are from Black Tree, with maybe some Crusader minis thrown in. They were some of the first miniatures that I bought when I started up with the hobby again (as an adult). I had painted them back then (10 years ago?), so have only been touching them up this week and changing the colour of the trousers from feldgrau to mouse grey.  I think that I might re-base them as well: the soil colour is way too dark for Greece.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuenen House #3 Finished?

I thought that I had finished this first house in my Band of Brothers project, but after looking at it on my painting table for the last few...