Sunday 9 February 2020

Scale of trees

I thought I would upload a couple of photos to specifically show the scale of the trees that I made in an earlier post.  The lighter green tree in the left of the photo was purchased from 4Ground (though sadly they have stopped retailing them - I must ask Ben why that is) and is about 4-6" tall. The other four trees are from the batch made in my how-to guide.  There is a 28mm figure in the foreground to show the scale relative to the size that I game in.


There was some discussion on TMP about the cost of making trees. I agree that there are other methods (perhaps at a lower cost per unit) for putting some trees on the table, such as the ready-made ones as sold by Woodland Scenics.  For me, there are some other considerations...
  1. I quite enjoy making terrain so don't mind putting in a bit of extra effort and spending a little bit extra.
  2. Building your own trees means that you can choose what size and shape they are - this is where I think that it does become cost-effective to make your own. The largest trees I made are approx. 12" tall, but they are all individually sized between ~4" and 12", so there is lots of variety.  
  3. The shapes of the home made ones are also irregular, so IMHO look more realistic.
  4. By being able to build to bigger scale, I think that it also represents the real size of trees in relation to other models on the gaming table, for example, vehicles and especially buildings. Many conifers are taller than houses, so I wanted to represent this on my gaming table.
I have nothing against store-bought trees - I actually have quite a few on the same table, which I think adds to the overall "look".


The shot above shows the scale of a 4-6" tree (left of the house) and the comparative size of my larger home-made conifers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuenen House #3 Finished?

I thought that I had finished this first house in my Band of Brothers project, but after looking at it on my painting table for the last few...