Monday 26 October 2020

Progress on the T34 platoon

I posted yesterday about the Russian platoon that I have started working on as opposition for my Panzer III platoon, so here are a few updates.

These T34/76s are kits from Rubicon and are really simple to put together with only a handful of parts in comparison to the Panzer IIIs, which have probably double the number of parts to assemble.

Here is the assembled T34 based in white (lockdown means I have run out of dark basing paint).

I then used my airbrush to spray on Vallejo Model Air Cam Dark Green 71.019 as the base coat.


Next, I applied a lighter coat of Russian Green 71.017, but it was so light that it was hardly detectable, so I went lighter again with Medium Olive 71.092, intending this to be the highlight colour. The olive green was still too light, so I mixed Medium Olive with Yellow Ochre 71.033 in a 50:50 ratio, which achieved the level of highlighting that I wanted.


Once that had dried, I used a small piece of sponge dipped in the Cam Dark Green and dabbed onto a piece of kitchen paper to remove the excess, then used this to "chip" all over the tank. I also used Model Color USA Olive Drab 70.889 on the bit of sponge to apply a slightly darker chipping effect. Finally, I used a fine detail brush and dabbed a few larger "chips" of the dark green and olive drab. I played around a bit with the lighting when taking these next few photos...it is actually the same model.



The next step, once this coat has properly dried, will be to give the whole vehicle a coat of matt varnish to protect it, but also get it ready for applying oil paints and washes. I will then apply the decals and some dark colours (oils and washes) into all the recesses to pick out the detail a bit more.

Update - the next day

I have now sprayed the matt varnish coat onto the models to protect the acrylic paint, so that I can apply the decals, a dark wash in all the joints and recesses to emphasise the shadows, and some light weathering effects. This is what two of the tanks now look like. Almost finished!




1 comment:

Nuenen House #3 Finished?

I thought that I had finished this first house in my Band of Brothers project, but after looking at it on my painting table for the last few...