Tuesday 19 January 2021

Greek infantry figures

I have started painting some Greek infantry from the Great Escape Games range. I intend to use them in games of Iron Cross, in an Invasion of Greece scenario, so these first 10 figures will represent two platoons.

The colours I used (this helps me to remember in case I come back at a later date and want to add more figures to the existing army) were all from Vallejo Model Color range. I based the colours on some photos of a group of WWII Greek re-enactors, who I assume have paid plenty of attention to getting the authenticity of the uniform correct.

  • Helmets - 70890 Reflective Green
  • Tunics, trousers and greatcoats - 70924 Russian Uniform WWII (painted over with a wash of Citadel Agrax Earthshade to make the green a bit browner)
  • Rifles and webbing - 70846 Mahogany Brown
  • Metal - 70995 German Grey
  • Ammo pouches and holsters - 70822 German Cam Black Brown
  • Bags - 70882 Middlestone
  • Puttees and waterbottle cover - 70921 English Uniform
  • Boots - 70843 Cork Brown
  • Cap badges and rank insignia - 70824 German Cam Orange Ochre
  • Collar tabs - 70946 Dark red
The bases are 4Ground 'New Wood' with a dry brush of Dulux Sandstone.

Some of the figures have "bushy tails" on the back of their caps (does anyone know what these are called?), which I have painted black and very lightly dry-brushed with 70991 Dark Sea Grey to pick out the detail.

I have so far purchased 20 infantry + 4 HQ figures; a mortar; a heavy machine gun; a sniper team; three anti-tank units and a couple of captured Italian CV35 tankettes.

These will be supplemented by several squads of British infantry and a 2 pounder. I've got a variety of early war British tanks too, so just need to research which ones can be fielded in Greece.


I've not worked out the points value for Iron Cross yet, but it seems like I have enough to hold back the invading Germans. Just need lockdown to be over so that I can get back to some tabletop gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuenen House #3 Finished?

I thought that I had finished this first house in my Band of Brothers project, but after looking at it on my painting table for the last few...