Sunday 14 March 2021

Universal Carriers and Caunter Camouflage

To build out the support units for my Greek army for Iron Cross, I've added some British anti-tank units mounted in universal carriers. I have painted three resin carriers from Die Waffenkammer; I'm not a great fan of resin because I have had many bad experiences of paint flaking off no matter how well I have prepared the surface before applying the paint.


One of the reasons that I chose the Die Waffenkammer models was that they came with four crew members per carrier plus lots of stowage. I'm in the process of painting the miniatures at the moment. I'll add a little bit more weathering too to dull down the newly applied decals.

There are some great photos on the web of carriers in Greece painted in the "Caunter" scheme, so I ordered the 'British Caunter Colors' paint set from Vallejo and duly applied it. Having read around the Internet on the subject of caunter, it seems to be catnip for web trolls, but having used the colours supplied by Vallejo, and read both sides of the argument, I feel like I have achieved a historically accurate result and think they look pretty good. I even think that I have used the correct shapes! ;-)

Painting caunter is hard though! I had originally planned to use an airbrush on the carriers, but it requires so much fiddly masking that I ended up painting the straight lines by eye and a steady hand.

I've started to paint a couple of A13 Cruisers for the desert in caunter too...a bit more work to get them to a finished state though. Masking the A13s was easier, so I've been using the airbrush to spray the straight lines.



2 comments:

  1. Great painting; that Vallejo set looks like a good one. Looking at the models though it looks like the casting is a bit rough- is that my imagination?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Codsticker. The hulls were well cast, but the stowage and particularly the tracks were poorly cast...lots of superglue required to fix the tracks together!

    ReplyDelete

Nuenen House #3 Finished?

I thought that I had finished this first house in my Band of Brothers project, but after looking at it on my painting table for the last few...