Saturday 18 January 2020

Building a Winter Themed Wargaming Table - Building the table base

Well, here is my first blog post!

I've decided to start by posting about a project I completed last winter, which was to build myself a new gaming table; it was inspired by a walk across the Welsh countryside with the kids on a rare sunny day! Here are a couple of photos that I took and used as references/inspiration...


I knew that I wanted to build some open fields with woods/forest.


This muddy track looked great and I knew would be a great feature to recreate on the tabletop.




I started off by building a frame out of some planks of wood that I found in the garage.  We moved into our new house just over a year ago and the previous owner left a big pile of wood, so I wasn't short on choice.  I also cleared out the shed and claimed it as my new wargaming room!  Maybe it should be described as a summer house, rather than a shed, because it is a decent size. I was able to build the table to be 8' by 6' with space to walk around three table edges.


Another source of inspiration for the project came about by a bit of luck: I "rescued" several sheets of insulation foam from a skip outside work. I think it came from a company that installed roofs on industrial buildings. The foam sheets are about 4 inches thick and conveniently locked together, so with a few more bits of wood underneath to brace it, it formed a great base to start building on (and gouging out).  Here's a shot of the table with the bare insulation sheets - you can see the joins still and where I started filling them with a tub of wall filler from B&Q.  You can also see some craters and ditches that I gouged into the foam to create some "texture" for my battlefield.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuenen House #3 Finished?

I thought that I had finished this first house in my Band of Brothers project, but after looking at it on my painting table for the last few...