Saturday 18 January 2020

Winter Table - Part 3

Painting the Table

I wanted to try to replicate the colour of the wet and muddy fields that I had walked across, so started off with a dark base coat.  All the paint came from B&Q.  It looks quite light in this photo (bad lighting in my photos!), but it is actually a dark, chocolately type of colour.  The paint is still wet at this point, which gives it a bit more shine too.


Here are a few shots of the detailing carved into the foamboard. I mixed some ground cork into the paint to create a bit more texture and also randomly stabbed the end of a paint brush into the foam just to break up the flatness of foam.





The "tank tracks" were created by dragging the corner of a large metal file across the foam. As it was dragged, with a bit of force applied, it sort of "juddered" and created what looked like IMHO quite realistic track or wheel marks in the mud. Here's a closer shot of that particular effect.


Once the base coat had dried, I started adding some more colours.  It perhaps cannot be called dry-brushing due to the volume of paint that went on, but I used the same sort of technique to apply a lighter colour on the areas of higher ground, which emphasised the difference in some of the terrain features.  You can see that the darker colour is actually dark in these two photos.



Once the lighter colour had dried, I used a dark green spray paint to highlight some areas. The idea being that some of this would show through the flock and other scatter materials that were going to be applied later on...again, all with the intention of stopping the flat areas of the table from looking too uniform.




In the photo at the bottom you can see an area that I "roughed up" more than other parts of the table; I was planning to make this bit into a marshy area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuenen House #3 Finished?

I thought that I had finished this first house in my Band of Brothers project, but after looking at it on my painting table for the last few...