Wednesday 6 October 2021

Finishing off SdKfz.222 and 223

A bit later than planned, I have finished off a pair of reconnaissance vehicles for Iron Cross. These are the Rubicon kits, which allow you to make different variants, so I went with a 222, armed with a 2cm autocannon, and a 223, which is essentially a radio-equipped command vehicle with the "bed frame" antenna.

I have painted both in dunkelgrau, so that I can use them for a variety of early war scenarios. They match a whole load of other vehicles that I have been working on over the last several months. I think that I might continue experimenting with weathering powders to add a bit of dirt and dust to them, like I did on this other Aufklarungs unit.

Here is the SdKfz.222:



And the SdKfz.223:



I do like the Rubicon kits because they have thought about lots of little details when sculpting the models. For example, the bottom of the tyres are flattened off as if they are under load, just like IRL. I don't think I have ever seen any other model maker do this. They also come with loads of decals, which on a plain grey vehicle, bring it to life.

Anyway, my next project is going to be an ambushed, horse-drawn ammunition wagon with loads of casualties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuenen House #3 Finished?

I thought that I had finished this first house in my Band of Brothers project, but after looking at it on my painting table for the last few...